PICNIC IN THE
Sat 4th & Sun 5th October 2014
@ Bunya Red Farm
10:00am : Morning Tea (Home-made Scones & slices with tea or coffee) – from $7.50
10:30am : MORNING FARM TOUR: Walk through the caper paddock – learn how they grow, try your hand at picking. Followed by a tasting of Bunya Red Farm’s PRIZE WINNING capers & caperberries. Feed the alpacas – try for a cuddle too
12.00pm : Picnic lunch available for purchase – All produce has been sourced locally
- Regional Ploughman’s Platter – $15 (Barkers Creek Ham, Maleny Cheese, Kingaroy Cheese & More)
- Country Meat or Veg Plate served with salad $20
Time for a snooze under the trees or walk around the farm, or just enjoy the views out to the Bunya Mountains
1:30pm : AFTERNOON FARM TOUR: Walk through the caper paddock – learn how they grow, try your hand at picking. Followed by a tasting of Bunya Red Farm’s PRIZE WINNING capers & caperberries. Feed the alpacas – try for a cuddle
3:00pm Afternoon Tea (Home-made Scones & slices with tea or coffee) – from $7.50
COST : FREE , bookings essential
BOOKING : Contact Mandy Evans 0402 245 780 or email@example.com. Secure your place on a farm tour or book in just for lunch to soak up the view.
WHAT TO BRING : Picnic blanket or comfy seats, hat, sunscreen, insect repellent (just in case), comfortable footwear for walking around a farm. Don’t forget your camera for the view because it is stunning.
CAMPING : Available from $10 a night. Bookings are essential.
From Kingaroy: Travel 16 klm south west of Kingaroy, from Ken Mills Toyota, on the Bunya Highway (follow Dalby signs). Turn RIGHT into Reedy Creek Road – travel 6 klm west (past Deep Creek Rd & Benair Rd intersections). Turn RIGHT at Wattlegrove Road cross road. Travel 1.4klm on dirt road to our gate – 544 on RIGHT. (Signage will direct you from Reedy Creek Road).
From Brisbane: Head north via the Bruce Highway and take the Kilcoy Exit 152. Follow the signs to Kingaroy through Kilcoy making a right hand turn. Continue north west. Take a left turn in Nanango following the signs to Kingaroy.
WHY COME VISIT OUR FARM?
- Learn about how to grow capers.
- We are the only caper growers in Queensland and we have won several awards.
- Try your hand at picking capers.
- Visit our working farm and see our animals; cows, alpacas and guinea fowl.
- See how crops are grown in our fertile red soil.
- Nothing beats getting some country air in the lungs. Walk around the property and enjoy our view of the Bunya Mountains. It’s breathtaking.
- Enjoy some peace and quiet.
- Taste the local foods from the area, along with some of our capers.
- Camping available from $10 a night.
- On a clear night you can see all the stars in the sky. It’s very pretty.
THINGS TO BE AWARE OF
- The weather can be very hot & dry in the summer, and sub zero in winter. A Mediterranean Climate – Perfect for growing capers.
- There is about 1.5 klm of dirt road, recently graded, to get to our gate.
- It is a working farm. There are hazards to be aware of. Barb wire fences are sharp, the ground is uneven to walk on. Please wear suitable footwear & clothing plus a hat! Be aware – keep alert, but still take the time to enjoy your visit.
- Do not wear white! (Pants or shoes) Our red soil stains easily, even bare feet go home red.
- People on their way to or from the Bunya Mountains or visiting the South Burnett. We are 8 klm from the highway. TRAVEL TIME: Brisbane CBD 3½ hrs, Gympie 2 hrs, Dalby 1hr, Nanango 30 mins, Kingaroy 20 mins, Bunya Mtns 45mins, Bjelke Petersen Dam 1hr, Wineries – many, within 1hr radius.